Participating in clinical research is voluntary. The following information in pdf form provides further information on volunteering for clinical studies from the UCSF Institutional Review Board (IRB) (formerly the UCSF Committee on Human Research), as well as the Human Subjects Bill of Rights.
*Please have nail polish removed before your study appointment. The devices will not work properly with it on.
Volunteer subjects cannot participate if the following apply to them:
- Not within the ages of 18 to 50
- History of lung disease, heart disease, kidney or liver disease.
- Habitual smoker
- Pregnant or trying to get pregnant
- History of fainting
- Asthma, sleep apnea, or use of CPAP.
- History of diabetes
- Not fluent in written and spoken English
- Have a clotting disorder, hemoglobinopathy or significant anemia.
Subjects are excluded from the Methemoglobin study if the following apply to them:
- Currently taking antidepressant drugs
- Have a history of migraine headaches
Subjects should reconsider if they:
- Get anxious easily
- Have a sensitivity to anesthesia